Southern Housing Group
Lisgar Terrace, Fulham
The buildings at Lisgar Terrace in Fulham form one of the many Samuel Lewis Housing Trust Estates in the London area.
Each of which comprises solid brick structures that are characterised by large chimney stacks and high cornices.
Samuel Lewis was a Victorian philanthropist who earned his fortune through finance and money-lending. On his death in 1901 he left an endowment of £670,000 to set up a charitable trust to provide housing for the poor – a high sum at the time and one that equates to around £30 million in today’s values. E Harry Davis was an original trustee of the Estates and brother-in-law to Samuel Lewis. He became chairman of the Board of Trustees in 1916 following the successful development of the first three estates in Islington, Chelsea and Camberwell. Davis continued the legacy of Samuel Lewis using the endowment wisely in the development and management of rented properties so that the Trust became one of the largest providers of accommodation in the Southeast of England.
The blocks at Lisgar Terrace were built in 1927 and the Trust engaged ex-Warrant Officers of the 1st Lifeguards Regiment to act as Superintendents on the estate.
The apartments were initially refurbished in the 1970s and provided with modern luxuries such as internal toilet.
The project at Lisgar Terrace in West London is the first phase of the refurbishment and conversion of ten blocks of apartments.
Originally built in the early 1920s on behalf of the Samuel Lewis Trust the homes are in a sound structural condition but in need of updating and upgrading works.
The first block of 25 existing homes is being completely stripped internally so that the layouts of the new homes comply with modern space standards for affordable housing.